Closure of the Housing Legal Clinic

With great regret the Board of the Welfare Rights Centre has to announce that it will cease to provide Housing Legal Clinic  services with effect from Monday, 24 th June 2019.

South Australians seeking legal advice on issues arising from homelessness, or the risk of becoming homeless, may wish to consult the alternative services listed here.


Tenancy Information and Advice Service - Telephone: 1800 060 462  Website:

Centrelink issues

Uniting Communities Law Centre - Telephone: 8342 1800   Website:

For all other legal matters

The Legal Services Commission - Telephone: 1300 366 424

The Hosing Legal Clinic is a free service, sustained by a grant from the Minister for Human Services and by services supplied pro bono by South Australian law firms. The current Government grant expires on 30 th June. Negotiations with the SA Housing Authority have not yielded an extension of that term.

The lease of WRC’s premises at 97 Pirie Street also expires on 30 th June so the Board reluctantly has taken the decision to close the Clinic.

The need for legal services for members of the South Australian community who are in housing stress remains as great as ever.

Thank you to the law firms, the community organisations that hosted the clinics and our own staff, all of whom have dedicated so much for the benefit of the Clinic's clients over the twelve years of its existence.

The Welfare Rights Centre is considering how best to meet its objects as an organisation in the future. The need to advocate for people who are experiencing legal problems with tenancy or Centrelink benefits and to provide coordinated and effective services for them, has not reduced. We will make an announcement in due course.

The Welfare Rights Centre (SA)  will close its office at 97 Pirie St, Adelaide on Friday 21 st June. For inquiries, please call 0468 308 725.